Featured Post

Welcome to the Forensic Multimedia Analysis blog (formerly the Forensic Photoshop blog). With the latest developments in the analysis of m...

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What's on the horizon?

Having used PS since version 3, I've seen a ton of new features added to this incredible program. I've probably tried them all at least twice. For image analysis, I maybe use a fraction of them. I've heard the complaints in the many classes that I've taught, "why spend the money if I'm only using a few of it's features." 

The video functionality changed that opinion slightly. Many took a shot at the 3D tools, but gave up when they couldn't make sense of it quickly. I think that's about to change in the next version.

Remember back to April when the NatGeo team (including your humble host) used Maya and Photoshop to some really cool stuff with images - 3D Photogrammetry. From what I've seen in the next version, that process will get a easier. In fact, I've put off doing a feature on the process until CS4 releases.

That being said, I know that many wait and see rather than rushing into an upgrade purchase. Some are still using PS7. I think CS4 will change much of that. So turn in your purchase orders and get the folks at Finance ready to go. Something brilliant is on the horizon.

In other news, I'm getting my calendar together for next year. In May 2009, the tour will be making stops in Australia (and perhaps NZ, if there is enough interest). If you'd like to schedule a stop, send me a note.

Until then, enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Care to give an account of forensic specific upgrades, if any in this version. Maybe some better photomerge features, smart objects, etc.

Jim Hoerricks, PhD said...

In beta mode, nothing is final. When the final shipping version is ready, you can bet there will be a full accounting of the new stuff as it relates to us.