Featured Post

Welcome to the Forensic Multimedia Analysis blog (formerly the Forensic Photoshop blog). With the latest developments in the analysis of m...

Thursday, June 11, 2009

EnCase Forensic v6

I don't normally trash a company or a product. Usually, I prefer to just say nothing about a product or handle it off-line directly. This time, however, I'm appealing to the masses ...

EnCase Forensic v6

I doubt that I have ever read a more poorly written User Guide in my life, including the ones written in another language and translated badly into English. The only thing that comes to mind is that the company, Guidance Software, is trying to drive people to its classes. Wow! I would have been happier with a tri-folded insert card outlining the interface and installation procedure ... with the flip side giving the company's contact info and class pricing. At least this way, it would be obvious that they want you in class.

That being said, I found a book that should have been included in the box, the Official EnCase Certified Examiner Study Guide by Steve Bunting (an EnCase Certified Examiner). Steve gives a nice opening treatment on the fundamentals of computers, then moves into using the program. While it's not a user's guide, it's pretty darn close (and 100% better than what Guidance produces).

There's a lot of cross-over between DVR imaging and forensics and computer forensics. Many video and image pros will find themselves trying to learn more about computer forensics ... so I thought I'd spare everyone the frustration and send y'all straight to the source. Check out Steve's book.

1 comment:

Lars Daniel, EnCE said...

I have the same book, and it is a fantastic resource.

As a Digital Forensic Technician who also does Digital Forensic Art, I definitely find that the two disciplines interrelate and cross on a consistent basis. This is especially true in cases where computer or cell phone examinations provide valuable data on the photos or videos to be examined.