Featured Post

Welcome to the Forensic Multimedia Analysis blog (formerly the Forensic Photoshop blog). With the latest developments in the analysis of m...

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Where are we going?

California has essentially declared war on images (and reason) - requiring "blind" authentication of images that are used in trial. A simple "that's not me," and off we go down the winding hole. In essence, authentication is on everyone's mind these days.

The ruling caught everyone by surprise. The criminal justice system just wasn't ready to dive into this mess. There aren't enough "experts" to go around, there aren't enough commercially available choices to readily perform authentication tasks, and the results ... well, let's just say that people of good will can disagree.

Nevertheless, all is not lost. I've seen what's just around the corner and I like what I see. I've been privileged to kick the tyres of some new software, as well as some completely redesigned stuff from a name that you know. I'll break the news when I'm allowed to.

I just wanted to say that all is not lost. There's affordable software on the horizon that combines image and video processing, detailed reporting, "forensic" viability, and a good training schedule. All the things that we need to tackle this authentication mess.

For the most part, "blind authentication" is a mad man's game. Who can prove a negative? But, if an allegation of forgery is made ... a specific allegation ... then we can test for it. That's what I'm talking about with what's on the horizon.

Stay tuned.

No comments: